Goodbye, friend

I found out that an old friend of mine passed away last night. I hadn't spoken to him since we moved from Denver, but the news is affecting me in a way I hadn't expected.

When I knew him, Milt was the lead guitar player in the church's praise team. I don't really know how old he was, but I know he had grand kids. He was a large fellow, and at first glance you might assume that he wasn't doing so good, but put a guitar in his hands and he came to life in a way that you wouldn't believe.

I got to know him in a personal way through our men's group. We were working our way through the Bible in a year. In the end, it actually took three because we enjoyed each other's company and spent much more time sharing each other's burdens than studying.

Milt once said something that I will never forget. I don't remember exactly what we were talking bout, maybe we were talking about death and mortality, I don't know. But Milt said "I want to be so close to Jesus that there is no difference between closing my eyes on earth and opening them in Heaven."

I don't know if he reached that point, but I hope so.

Goodbye, Milt. I didn't realize how much I missed you, friend. I'll see you again someday.