My Guitar

I got my guitar from my great-grandfather when I was 8 or 9. It was said that in his younger days, Gramps could pick up any instrument and play it, give him a few minutes and he could play it well. I don't know about that, he was well past his prime when I knew him.


But he had this guitar stuck in the back of his closet for I don't know how long. I knew it was old, I always assumed it was very old. I've had it for over 30 years, I didn't know how long before that Gramps had it.

I took it out today to play it. I haven't played in years, and I miss it. I'm having a good day so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm amazingly rusty and the weakness in my left hand makes it hard to make chords, but I'm working on it.

I had my laptop handy, so I thought I'd look it up. It took a little bit, but I tracked it down.

Silvertone World - Acoustic Guitars - 1950s 1960s - Model 608 / 604 / 1204 (view on Google Sidewiki)

It's not as old as I thought it was, but still a great guitar from a great company. I like to imagine Gramps ordering it from the Sears catalog and sitting with Granny when they were younger (at least a little younger than I remember them) and serenading her.