November writing day 8

So I've gone off my story. It's really cliche' so far, so I might go back to it, but today is hard to think about anything other than the election.

If you're not in the US, you probably know anyway, that today is election day in the US. And it's a frightening mess. No matter who wins, someone is going to be mad and there are people with guns that will be really mad if things go a certain way, and people with guns that will be really mad if things go the other way.

Either way, it's scary. So I'm hiding inside today. (well, I do that every day, but today I'm avoiding the news.)

But the sun will rise tomorrow. And life will go on.

But no matter what, there is hope, and hope always wins.

My 18-year-old daughter is registered to vote this year. Her great-great-grandmother didn't have the same right at 18. Susan B. Anthony fought for my daughter's right, even though she never got to exercise the right herself.

Martin Luther King had a dream. He was executed before his dream came true (and it still hasn't been fully realized, but compare now to then....)

JFK didn't live to see man land on the moon.

Many who marched in the first "gay pride" parades in the 70s didn't live to see same-sex marriage be the law of the land.

Hope always wins. But sometimes it works slow.

The only way to make it work faster, is to get off up your bottom, do what you can, whether that's carrying a sign, or writing a blog, or fighting in front of your local school board or city council. Or even just quietly speaking the truth with your friends and family.

Hope. Work for hope.

OK. I've ranted enough. Carry on.