Faith like a child

What does it mean to have faith like a child? I hear that all the time. It seems like some are saying, "I have faith like a child, so I don't have to know all that stuff". And they can't tell you why they believe what they believe. Preacher cite verses like Matthew 18:3 and Luke 18:17 as reasons to just accept what they say and be good little children.

But the Bible also tells us to be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in us (I Peter 3:15). So what are we to do?

To be blunt, stop the stupid and use the brain.

I have children. I have a lot of children. While my children are fully trusting in their father and (for the most part) are innocent and unconditionally loving, the main word I would use to describe my children, and most other children I know is "inquisitive".

Children want to know about the world around them. They are ALWAYS asking questions. They will even go so far as to take apart (or break) their toys to see how they work. Children want to know WHY! "Why is the sky blue?" "Why are we going here?" "Why are you typing on your computer?" (Got that one just now.)

Faith like a child, I think, is to never stop asking "why". Why do we believe this? Why do some say this? Why does the Bible say this? Why did Jesus do this? Ask, search, learn, dig. Question those who question you. When you don't know, say so, but then go find out. If someone says something that doesn't line up with what you believe, check it out, ask WHY!